AI4PublicPolicy Pilots: Genoa, Italy
Pilot #2: Citizens and Businesses Services Optimization
Location: Genoa, Italy
Pilot Leader(s): Commune di Genova
Theme – Policies Involved: Policies for Citizens and Business Services Optimization
The pilot will develop a policy development toolkit for the city of Genova, which will enable the public authority to extract and experiment with evidence-based policies about how to optimally organize the operations of the various citizen-facing services and department of the municipality. The toolkit will be integrated in the virtualized platform of the project i.e., it will be an instance of the cloud-based VPME customized to the needs of the municipality of Genova. It will comprise datasets derived from the unique phone number infrastructure and its (digital) interfaces to the various departments and systems of the municipality, as well as citizens’ feedback that will be collected through various channels. The pilot will integrate various AI tools, including tools for analyzing citizens’ feedback, but mainly tools for data-driven policy recommendation, policy simulation and benchmarking. Based on this tool, the pilot system will extract and recommend policies for allocating resources and organizing the operations of the different departments of the municipality.
As part of the pilot, the municipality with use its customized VPME instance and the AI tools of the project in the scope of the following use cases:
- Evaluation and benchmarking alternative service handling workflows: As part of this use case, CDG will use the policy toolkit for providing data-driven recommendations about how different configurations of internal processes perform when handling requests for citizen services. Specifically, ML/DL techniques will be used to extract rules about the steps entailed in handling a request. Different process configurations will be considered based on the data about citizens’ and businesses’ requests, their types and citizens’ satisfaction feedback.
- Optimizing the allocation of resources: This use case will execute ML/DL techniques over data about the citizens’ requests for services and their handling workflows, towards identifying optimal allocation of human resources and other assets (e.g., machines, equipment, software/hardware). The outcome of the toolkit will be a set of data-driven recommendations and rules about how to best allocate resources to the various departments in order to make optimal use of resources, minimize service times and increase citizens’ satisfaction.
- Citizens’ requests and policies visualizations: This use case will visualize data about citizens’ requests and about the workflows for handling them in an interactive map/dashboard. Information about the type, location, handling times, citizen demographics etc. associated with each request will be displayed and provided to both policy makers (inside the municipality) and citizens. The dashboard will be used to increase the transparency, trustworthiness and accountability of the policy development process.
The VPME will provide the means for using the AI policy development tools of the above use cases at a strategic level. Hence, they will facilitate not only the creation/formulation of policies, but also their reprogramming and reconfiguration as well. All policy development use cases will engage both citizens and policy makers from CDG. Furthermore, as part of the pilot, the project will also study and implement the required organizational transformation activities.
The following KPIs will be tracked:
- Improved utilization of resources in the various services/departments of the company;
- Reduced cost of fulfillment of citizens’ requests;
- Increased citizens’ and SMEs’ satisfaction;
- Increased trust in the policy development process.