The Data Driven Policy Cluster publishes joint policy brief Policy Prediction, the Future of Evidence-Based Policymaking
The Data Driven Policy Cluster is pleased to announce the second of three joint policy briefs, Policy Prediction, the Future of Evidence-Based Policymaking?, an output from the inaugural event organised by the cluster in December 2021, the Evidence Based Policymaking in Europe Summit 2021.
The policy brief is a result of the Future with Policy Impact Analysis & Prediction Track of the Evidence Based Policymaking in Europe Summit 2021, which tackled Evidence-based policymaking (EBP) and its rapid change mainly driven by factors such as evolving meaning of evidence, i.e. data- driven insights drawn from modelling and simulations coming from a multitude of data types and sources; new actors coming into play, including open to data scientists and data savvy public servants; more attention for agenda setting and policy design, and different relation between policy and evidence: from reactive and ex-post to proactive and ex-ante.
Further, in the policy brief are discussed the critical roles of interoperability and data sharing for the advancement of policy prediction, practical policy prediction cases, and challenges encountered by stakeholders. Finally, a number of policy recommendations based on the experience gathered within the different projects are presented:
- Start small, experiment, then scale fast through co-creation
- Foster a culture of innovation building on successful experiments and pilots
- Leverage European data sharing infrastructures to increase data availability and accessibility across policy areas and government levels
- Create trusted data spaces to facilitate data sharing by citizens and businesses
- Secure the necessary multidisciplinary resources
- Ensure European building blocks for data-driven policy prediction
Two other joint policy briefs will be published based on the other tracks covering Governance Ethics, and Co-Creation and Stakeholder Engagement.
The policy brief has been published openly on Zenodo and may be accessed through this link.
About the Data Driven Policy Cluster